A cold zucchini soup is another great summer recipe. Zucchini is a type of squash that brings a smooth texture to your soup. Although, often referred to as a vegetable, zucchini is actually a fruit.
Zucchini is very versatile. You can make pastas, salads, sandwiches, grilled zucchinis, pickled zucchinis to name a few. I currently use a lot of zucchini to make baby food. It is a great first solid food for babies.
During this very hot summer, a cold zucchini is very appropriate. I first had a cold cucumber soup at a restaurant few years back and it was so refreshing! They added ice cubes to make it colder which was brilliant in my opinion! I added some cheese to add more creaminess to the soup.
How do you make cold zucchini soup?
You will be surprised how easy it is to make this soup. Luckily, zucchini doesn’t require much cooking time so you will have the soup done within 15 min.
You start by sautéing your onions until they are translucid. Then you add the garlic and thyme while stirring.
After that, you add the zucchini while making sure that each piece is coated with the oil.
After that, you can add your stock to let it simmer for 10 min.
You blend everything with a hand mixer while adding the laughing cow cheese intermittently.
These cheese reminds me of my childhood. I always liked how soft and creamy was this cheese. You can substitute it with goat cheese. The recipe will work as well.
The first reason why I added the cheese was because it would make my soup creamy. I was particularly going with this texture because I wanted to be able to add ice to my soup. This brings me to my second reason which is that ice brings more water. I realized that if I added ice to my soup without cheese, it would make my soup too liquid.
The cheese makes the soup heavier so the ice lightens it a bit.
You can let chill for at least an hour before serving it.
This soup can be eaten hot as well.
Can zucchini soup be frozen?
Absolutely! However, if you plan on freezing it, do not add the cheese or any cream because it will give it a grainy texture when you will thaw it later. You can always add the cheese when you are ready to eat it. To freeze it, put your soup in an air tight container for 4 weeks on the safe side.Print
Cold zucchini soup topped with chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes and cucumbers.
2 zucchini diced
1 small shallot chopped
2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
4 Thyme springs
1 garlic clove minced
1 bunch of coriander chopped
2 slices of laughing cow cheese
3 Tbsp of olive oil
1. In a small pan on medium heat, heat up your olive oil. Once heated add your shallots and wait for them to get translucid before adding your coriander , garlic and thyme.
2. Stir occasionally so that your garlic doesn’t burn.
3. Add the zucchini. Make sure that all the pieces a well coated with oil.
4. Add your stock to it and let it simmer until your zucchini become tender.
5. Turn off the stove and put your pot to the side with the lid open.
6. After 10 min, with a hand mixer, add your cheese to the soup and blend everything together.
7. Once everything is well blended, let it cool completely.
8. Put them in your serving bowl and in the fridge for a least an hour.
9. Your soup is ready to be served.
I like my soup very cold, so I usually add some ice cubes to it.
Keywords: zucchini soup
You might also like: