Eggplants (aubergine) is not a vegetable that you see or hear enough about. However, you will be surprised how decadent an eggplants (aubergines) with fish recipe can be. The layers of flavours that you can in this one dish is just astonishing. Before we get into that let’s first talk about eggplants.
What is an eggplant?
Eggplant (aubergine) is a rounded shaped fruit that has so many varieties. It is known under different names depending where you live. This fruit is mostly used as a vegetable in cooking.
The smaller eggplant are also called garden’s egg. Garden’s eggs have several colours: purple, green, white, orange, reddish, etc. Some of them can have a bitter taste like the greens one while the white garden’s eggs wouldn’t be has bitter.
How do you cook eggplants?
Eggplants are so versatile and great flavors absorbent that you can use them for different cooking techniques. You can eat them raw, stir fry, roast, stew, barbecue, pickle.
In this particular recipe, we will use it a sauce to serve with our fish.
I used Indian eggplants. I have never used this type of eggplant before, but I was pleasantly surprised with the result! They look like the smaller version of the Italian eggplant but they are sweeter. The combination of the sweet and salty from the eggplants and the sauce elevates this dish.
How do you make eggplants (aubergines) with fish recipe?
- Deep your fish in bowl with boiling water and let it sit for at least 20 min. Remove the flesh and disregard the rest.
- Boil your eggplants until softened but still firm and set aside. This method cuts down the cooking time of the sauce. You can boil your eggplants while searing your fish.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat. Sauté the onions until they are translucid. Add the green onions and pepper while stirring.
- Once your green onions have softened, add the spices ( any mix spices or bouillon of your liking) and tomatoes while stirring occasionally.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add your eggplants and dry fish. Stir.
- Add the water and basil. Stir. And let it simmer on low heat boil for 20 minutes.
How to sear the fish:
It is very simple. You will just need salt and pepper to season it.
Heat some oil in a saucepan on medium high heat and sear the fish skin first. It should take 3 min to sear on each side.
Set it aside on a paper towel to absorb the oil.
You can use any type of fish for this dish.
How do you serve?
You can eat it as-is or serve it with a side of boiled or fried plantains, rice, or fufu. I like serving this dish with something crunchy on the side to bring more texture to my meal.
How do you store them?
I recommend eating it within the next couple of days . However, it can be frozen for up to 3 weeks. The texture will change though.
You might also like:
Roasted beef in red wine with pears recipe
Homemade light chicken broth recipe
African beignets (puff puff) with mango saucePrint
Eggplants(aubergines) with dry fish
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 55 min
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: African
A great recipe to eat with any starch, proteins.
1 pound egg garden (halves)
1 cup of dry fish
1 big yellow onion
2 tomatoes (diced)
5 greens onions
2 garlic cloves
Seasoning mix (dry herbs mix)
½ cup fresh basil
Salt & pepper
½ cup of water
1. Boil your eggplants until soft but firm. Drain the water and set it aside.
2. In a sauce pan, heat up some oil on medium heat.
3. Sauté the onion until they are translucid. Add the green onions while stirring.
4. Once your green onions have softened, add your spices and tomatoes while stirring occasionally.
5. Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the dry fish, eggplants. Stir.
6. Add the water and basil. Stir. And let it simmer on low heat boil for 20 minutes.
Jessica Formicola says
I love eggplant, but I’ve never had it this way! It looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it for dinner soon!
Genevieve | Fitty Foodlicious says
What a wonderful way to use up eggplants! I never know what to do with eggplants, thanks for the idea.
Magali Mutombo says
you are welcome!
This was absolutely delicious! I am such an aubergine lover and this was absolutely spot on! I will definitely make again!
Magali Mutombo says
thank you! Let me know how it turns out. 🙂
I love eggplants so I’m adding this to our menu for this week! It looks incredible and so flavorful with the fish! The process photos are so helpful too!
Magali Mutombo says
So delicious! My family enjoyed this dish so much! Thank you for the recipe!