I am a big fan of Christmas for many reasons. The first one is that we are celebrating the birth of Jesus. As a Christian, to commemorate the birth of our Lord is a powerful testimony of our faith. The second reason is family. Growing up, Christmas day was the day we got to eat something that we usually didn’t during the year. My mom would cook “le canard à l’orange” (duck with orange). It is this juicy meat with a sweet and savory taste that I always found so succulent.
Now that I have a family of my own, I want to do the same thing. Have a fun, diversified menu on Christmas day with my family. The sauce makes the dish. The duck is roasted like you would any other meat but the orange sauce brings this dish to another level! Because the duck is the star here, I tried to have a side dish that wouldn’t compete with the flavor of the meat. Roasted potatoes or fried plantains are always a good choice. It is a good alternative to turkey or ham. And you can have it done in one hour max!
Oh by the way, having my mom at my house while I was working on this recipe was such a blessing. I will cherish this moment forever.Print
This recipe is perfect for the holidays. The orange and the duck meat goes very well together. I serve it with potatoes or grilled plantains.
- Duck (medium size)
- 3 oranges
- 2 carrots
- 1 leek
- 1 red onion
- 60 g of sugar
- 1 cup of vinegar
- Olive oil
- Orange liqueur (optional)
- Preheat your oven at 460 degrees.
- Put salt inside and out of your duck.
- On medium high heat, put some olive oil in a sauce pan and brown your duck on each side for a few minutes.
- Put your duck in a baking pan with carrots, leek, onion around it and its giblets.
- Brush some butter on the duck and put it in the oven for 25 min.
- After the 25 min, take it out and brush some honey on one side of the duck.
- Put in back in the oven for 25 min minutes. (Put honey on the other side of the duck and back in the oven so it browns evenly for 5 min).
- Peel the skin on the oranges and cut them in matchsticks.
- In a small sauce pan, put some cold water with the orange skin and blanched them. Repeat the process after 10 min.
- Once they are cold, put them in a bowl and let them sit in orange liqueur for a while.
Keywords: duck, orange sauce