I am so excited today because we are finally baking!!! I have always found baking fascinating and very therapeutic! To me, it is similar to a science experiment that you do in your kitchen. Only difference is at the end you get delicious food! Baking is fun!
I chose a very easy lemon and chocolate cake to start. The lemon cake is a very simple pound cake. I thought that we’d get to trickier cakes as times goes on so we don’t get too overwhelmed. That being said, these cakes are good choices for an easy dessert with the family or dinner parties. Plus, they don’t require many ingredients. You already have most of them in your pantry. You can always top them off with fruits, whipping cream or ice cream. So instead of buying cake for every occasion, you can make one where you can actually control the amount of sugar or butter used. That was one of the main reason that I started to learn how make desserts. I hope I was able to convince you to start baking.
Big warning though…Baking is addictive!Print
You have here two recipe for the price of one! Here are great recipes for beginners bakers that are easy to follow and delicious of course!
Chocolate cake Ingredients
- ¾ Stick of butter
- 1 C of icing sugar
- 1/3 C All purpose Flour
- 3 eggs
- 200 g Dark chocolate (70% of cocoa)
Lemon cake Ingredients
- 1 C All purpose flour
- 2/3 Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 stick of butter (Softened)
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemon zest
- ½ tsp salt
For the chocolate cake:
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- Boil some water and put it in a big bowl. Put the chocolate in a smaller bowl (metal or glass) and insert that bowl in the big bowl with hot water. Once the chocolate starts melting, stir it until all is melted. Take the smaller bowl out.
- Add eggs one by one to it while mixing
- Add sugar and mix
- Add flour and mix everything very well
- Put the batter in a mold that has been buttered, in the oven for 20 min.
- Let it cool completely before removing it from the mold.
- Serve it warm or cold.
For the lemon cake:
- Preheat the oven at 350F.
- Separate yolks from egg whites in different bowl.
- Mix the yolks with sugar until the mixture is pale yellow.
- Add the butter and the zest to it. Mix well
- In a separate bowl, put the flour, salt, baking powder together and sift it.
- Add the flour progressively while mixing and put it aside
- Take your egg whites and mix it with a mixer (hand or stand) until the egg whites doesn’t fall off of mixer sticks.
- Take a third of the egg white and incorporate it slowly in your batter.
- Take the second third and make circular motions while incorporating it. You want your batter to get the airiness from the egg whites.
- Add the last third the same way.
- Put it on a butter mold, in the oven for 40 min.
Keywords: lemon cake, chocolate cake