It was so fun to have Pearl over again! We made a platter with plantains, avocado, beef and mango. We made a sweet and sour sauce to go with it. This sauce is the bomb! The first time that I made this sauce, it was by mistake LOL. I was trying to make another sauce and it didn’t work out the way I wanted. So, I started thinking on the fly and ended up with this sauce! It’s my go to sauce for red meat now. Relatively easy to make and a great addition to this platter!
You can it this dish as an appetizer or a main dish.Print
This recipe is great recipe as an appetizer, lunch or dinner. The plating is ideal for an event with friends and family.
- 3 Plantains
- 1 medium beef (boneless flanken)
- 1 mango
- 2 avocados
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp Corn starch
- 1 tsp butter
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- Preheat oven at 375F.
- On the stove, in a cast iron pan, melt the butter with olive oil (medium).
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on your meat. Put it in the pan with some thyme and garlic (make sure you don’t burn them). Brown the meat on both sides.
- Put the pan in the oven for 20 min. Once done, put the meat different plate. Remove all the spices that might have burned. DO NOT disregard the sauce from the pan.
- Deep fry the plantains
For the sauce:
- Cut the shallots
- Melt the sugar in a sauce pan on medium heat. DO NOT step away from it. It can burn very fast.
- Add the vinegar to it while making circular motion with the pan to mix it. Let the vinegar reduces and it will have a syrup texture to it. Take it off the stove. Put it aside.
- Put your cast iron back on the stove on medium heat. Add shallots to it. You can add some olive oil if needed.
- Once the shallots are translucid, add the vinegar-sugar mixture.
- Add corn starch blended with ½ cup of water, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Let it simmer to thicken for 2 min.
- Slice avocado, mango.
- Put everything on a platter and sprinkle it with some cilantro.
Tip: You can cook the meat to your liking. This recipe will give you a well done piece of meat. The cooking time will depend on the size of your meat.
Keywords: plantains, beef, avocado