A gratin can be served with a meat to the side and salad.
- 4 potatoes
- 1 leek (chopped)
- ½ cup of heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- ½ tsp of pepper
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2 Tbsp of grated gruyere cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven at 375 F.
- Peel the potatoes and keep them immersed in salted water to prevent them from changing colour
- Slice the potatoes thinly with a mandolin.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, cook the leek until it is wilt but still have its bright colours. Put it aside.
- Pour the milk and heavy cream into a large oven-safe saucepan. Carefully lay the potatoes slices in the pan. Add the salt, nutmeg, and pepper on top. The liquid shouldn’t cover the potatoes. Boil it 8 min on medium high heat. This process helps release the starch from the potatoes.
- After 8 min, remove the saucepan from the stove and sprinkle the potatoes with gruyere cheese.
- Place the pan in the oven for 30 min.
- The top layer should get brownish, and the cream and milk should become very thick and stick to the potatoes.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool down for 5-10 min before serving it.
- You can serve it with a salad on the side and some grilled meat.
Keywords: gratin, leeks