This is a gluten free cake with unrefined corn flour . You can substitute it with refined corn flour if you wish.
- 3 cups of corn flour
- ¾ cup of cassava flour
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2/3 cup warm milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 ripe mango (pureed)
- 1 lime (juice + zest)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of salt
For the icing:
- 3 egg whites
- 18 ounces of sugar
- 1 Tbsp of lime juice
1. Preheat the oven at 350 F.
2. If your flour is not refined, sift it at least twice and get rid of the residue that might be in it.
3. Once you have refined flour, add the cassava flour and salt to it and sift again.
4. In a small bowl, blend with a spoon a pinch of salt, mango puree, lime zest and vanilla.
5. Using a stand mixer, mix your eggs and sugar for 3-5 min or until the volume have at least doubled.
6. Add the oil. Let it mix for 2 min.
7. Add the puree to it. Mix for 2 min.
8. Add a third of your flour intermittently with a third of your milk. Make sure it is homogenous before adding another portion of flour.
9. Add the lime juice and then baking powder.
Blend it for 3-4 min.
10. Grease and flour your cake pan.
11. Put it in the oven for 50 min or until when sticking a butter knife through your cake, the knife comes out dry.
For the icing:
1. Warm up the egg whites in a bain marie.
2. Remove them and beat them until the foam is formed and they are bright white.
3. Add the icing sugar and beat for 3-5 min.
4. Add the lemon and blend well with a spatula.
5. The icing is ready to use.