Paired the confit eggplants with seared fish. You can also pair with your choice of protein.
6 small eggplants (sliced lengthwise)
½ leek (white part)
2 Bay leaves
3 country onions (optional)
1 Garlic clove
½ tsp kosher salt
2 cup of melted palm oil
½ tsp of balsamic vinegar
2 shallots (peeled, sliced in half)
1 fillet of your favorite fish seared.
1. Preheat oven to 200 F.
2. Pour the oil in the Dutch oven and place it in the oven for 10 min.
3. In the meantime, cut your vegetables lengthwise.
4. Take the Dutch oven out of the oven.
5. Put the eggplants, shallots, leeks, country onions, garlic, bay leaves, cloves. Make sure that they are well covered with oil.
6. Take out the Dutch oven from the oven and raise the oven temp to 350F
7. Put the Dutch oven in the oven uncovered from 40-45min or until the vegetables are tender. You can check with a butter knife to make sure that you don’t have any resistance.
8. If you want to eat them right away, put the vegetables on a paper towel to absorb the oil.
9. If not, carefully remove the Dutch oven from oven and let it cool down for about 30 min.
10. To serve add a squeeze of lime juice or balsamic vinegar, salt.
11. Serve warm with a protein of your choice. I prefer to serve it with a seared fish.
You can store it for up to 3 months in a clean jar. To liquify the palm oil, put your jar in some warm water for a few minutes.
Keywords: eggplants confit, palm oil, seared fish