This spicy rice is more on the mild side. If you want to make it spicier, you can add another habanero pepper.
2 cups of jasmine rice (rinsed twice)
2 medium fresh tomatoes (halves)
1 small can of tomato paste
2 sticks of lemon grass
4 strings of green onions (chopped)
1 yellow onion (chopped)
1 habanero pepper
3 cups of chicken stock
1 tsp of salt ( if there is no salt in your chicken stock)
½ cup of olive oil
1. In a small blender, blend the tomatoes and habanero pepper. Put it aside.
2. On a medium high heat in a medium size pan, put in the olive oil.
3. Sautée the onions until they are translucent.
4. Add in the green onions and stir occasionally.
5. Add the tomatoes and habanero mix to your onions. Let them cook for 4-5 min.
6. Add the tomato paste to it and stir well for 1-2 min.
7. Add the rice and stir again to make sure that the rice is well incorporated.
8. Cover the rice with the chicken stock. The stock should cover the rice plus one knuckle deep of your middle finger.
9. Add the lemon grass to it and stir well. Put the lid on top and let it cook for 12-15 min.
10. Stir the rice occasionally if you feel that it is sticking to the bottom of the pan too soon. Some will definitely stick, but it should not be too much.
11. You will know that your rice is ready by tasting some grains. It should be al dente and not hard nor mushy.
12. Fluff up the rice with a fork and serve it warm!